Well first, as women it is in our nature to be nurturers with not only our family but also with friends and even strangers. We all have a tendency to help others in need, and let’s face it… It makes us feel good when we can help someone else out. But what about taking care of us? Why do we suck at it so badly?
Why is it we make ourselves last on the list… last to eat dinner, last to get doc appointment, last to go to bed… and yeah, I’m sure there’s a bigger list. But what is self-care? What does self-care even look like?
Some may say getting their nails done, or buying a purse or make-up is their self-care, but is it?? I’m sure it makes us feel good but is it just a fast temporary fix?
Here are a few suggestions to think about that you might not consider it “SELF_CARE”… but IT IS! And a reminder as we all know this-“you must help yourself first (like a mask on a plane) before you can help anyone else” … does that sound familiar? Ok… so here’s a list for thought.
- A good night sleep at least 4/5 times a week if not every night.
- Make that check up appointment with your doctor. Stop brushing it off.
- If you’re a busy mom especially, take good vitamins, ones that you can see a difference to give you the energy you need for your family and your biz.
- Eat right! That means planning ahead by the way.
- Make personal time for yourself THIS IS A HUGE ONE… and probably a blog story in itself… so yeah, go learn a hobby, make time to meditate or do yoga, go see a favorite band, a walk on a beach (or around the block), go out with your girlfriends, go see a movie by yourself, play solitaire with REAL cards, etc.
- Get a babysitter!!! How often it’s said I can’t go out as I have no one to watch the kids… yep, a good babysitter is self-care folks!
- Did you know that reading affirmations help a lot? And Out Loud To A Mirror! Well, its true! Just ask Oprah!
- Don’t ever be afraid to say “NO” and don’t ever be afraid to “YES”, and trust those mama instincts!
- Let go of what you can’t control. Really, it’s not worth it.
- My Fav… “DON’T EVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS EVER!”
Self-Care… its a word we should pay attention to. I don’t think there is one mom who’s never said, “I’m great at giving advice except when it’s for myself”. DO YOU take your own advice? And hey, we’re not perfect, we are perfectly imperfect, but making self-care a priority in your life is so important if not the most important. Be gracious with yourself, Be connectedwith yourself, Be awarewhen it’s time for you and make it happen.
So I challenge you… make a list of 10 ways you can give yourself self care, then read them out loud, hang them where you can read it (fridge works) and remember that your worth it!
by Jami Josephson Chace
Connect with Jami